Tuesday 17 May 2011

Super K@K

This season's unpredictability of the EPL (English Premier League) has seriously damaged my chances at achieving the bragging rights amongst my mates. You see, like most EPL fans, I play in the fantasy world that is SuperBru.

SuperBru is a sport's prediction website that allows you to make picks for sporting events. Its free and its competitive.

With only 12 points separating 13 teams (out of 20) in the EPL, the unpredictability is clear to see. Having watched the EPL since it was formed back in 1992¹, I can safely say that this season has had more shock results than ever before. Predicting the weather has been easier.

With 1 week left to go, only West Ham have been confirmed as being relegated and although Man United have been crowned champions for a record 19th time, Chelsea (defending EPL Champions) did push them down to the wire.

CHAMP19NS

Liverpool, Arsenal, Man City and Spurs were all expected to join Man Utd and Chelsea in the top 6. They did just that, not in the right order however, as Man City wedged out Liverpool and Spurs for a Champions League spot².

The rest of the clubs all experienced highs and lows, with games going either way. Any team could beat any team on the day. This happened more often than not. Only West Ham looked certain to be doomed, leaving the foot of the table only a couple of times.

A couple of West Ham fans shedding a tear

So each week, teams that were not supposed to win, did. This pattern kept repeating itself but despite this, I kept on picking the logical result. My Superbru win accuracy is therefore a disgraceful 42.60%. It's a reminder of my high school maths grade.

To illustrate my point, lets have a look at my picks for this past weekend:

Blackburn 1 v Man Utd 1
My Pick:               Man Utd to win 0 - 2
SuperBru Points:        0

West Brom 1 v Everton 0
My Pick:               1 -1 Draw 
SuperBru Points:        0

Chelsea 2 v Newcastle 2
My Pick:               Chelsea to win 3 - 0
SuperBru Points:        0

Arsenal 1 v Aston Villa 2
My Pick:               Arsenal to win 2 - 0 
SuperBru Points:        0

Wigan 3 v West Ham 2
My Pick:               1 -1 Draw
SuperBru Points:        0

Liverpool 0 v Spurs 2
My Pick:               Liverpool to win 2 -1
SuperBru Points:        0

That's a whopping total of 0, and I considered myself an expert in football. Yeah right, what a load of bollocks. Oh well, there is always next season, right? Right. Funny, where have I heard that before?


To join SuperBru, go to www.superbru.com to see how well you can do. That's a challenge.
______________________________________________________________________
¹ The EPL was formed in 1992, following a decision from the clubs of the Football League First Division, to break away from the Football League and take advantage of  a lucrative television rights deal.
² The top 4 teams on the log in the EPL qualify for a Champions League spot with 5 & 6 going into the Europa League, depending on the winners of the FA & League Cup's.

SS.

No comments:

Post a Comment